Friday, April 21, 2017

PRELEGOMENON


I’m now throwing myself into a slew of new game development project, leaving my HTML5-TypesScript game engine, but right now I’m targeting multiple devices using MonoGame. I love XNA and I was just recently aware that MonoGame is still actively being develop that let me started playing with it only this year, so yeah hopefully to create a Game Development Kit that sit on top of MonoGame that can support desktop and mobile devices.  So, I’m  about to embark on a new game development hobby project using .Net and and MonoGame framework.

It's source is not yet open to the public but planning to open the source if it is working as plan and all of the documentation are already in place, the tutorials that I will be posted in here are for the early adapters on my internal and private circles, but of course anyone are free to ask if they have some inquiries.


MONOGAME FOR GAME DEVELOPMENT?
 

Sure! there's a lot of free high quality game engine or framework out there in the wild like Unity, Unreal engine, CryEngine, Lumberyard, WaveEngine, Xenko just to name a few and those also support multiple devices but most of them are not code centric it's heavily rely and too much attachment to it's editor. Not saying one should not use the mentioned engines, use the game engine your comfortable with and if you think it will serve your purpose then develop with it.

MonoGame is a framework not a game engine, we'll suited to make your own custom game engine and target different devices using Managed code  particularly C# and I want to get my hands dirty by implementing my own camera system, custom shaders, game entity components and custom mesh loaders and animation system without using content pipeline.

PROJECT OBJECTIVES

The ZGDK-MG  ( Z Game Development Kit - MonoGame ) – is intended to be a  game engine; code centric; entity component base system that will support desktop and mobile devices with a single assembly to reduce the amount of time needed for creating games that targeted multi platform as well as to provide a fast and stable game engine which can be used to simplify the game development process.


The ZGDK-Editor - Adding an editor are also  in plan but the engine should not rely on it and will only served as scene entity place holder which output a scene file that can be loaded in the engine automagically, meaning, what you can do in the editor you can also do it via hard coding.


DISCLAIMER

Since I’m  still heavily working on this technology there will be a steep  learning curve and heavy research for this project, I don’t guarantee that everything I will  mentioned and posted down from here is technically accurate and correct, what I have here is based on my research, interpretation and understanding to the MonoGame and Game Development in general subject and should not be consider as facts or best approach, so better take my posts with a grain of salt and BTW English is not my first language.

NOTE

Blog contents related to ZGDK-MG's development may be modified from time to time to comply with library's latest revision and for future referencing.

There you go my first post here, so hello to you all !


THIS IS MY PERSONAL JOURNAL ABOUT CREATING AN ENGINE SIT ON TOP OF MONOGAME NOT A JOURNAL OR TUTORIAL IN MONOGAME : - D



#XNA #MonoGame #CSharp #GameDev #ZGDK

No comments:

Post a Comment